19 November 2017

The fast life.

I started a .... not a diet, but a new way of eating (for me) ‘spose you could call it a “fasting diet” but diet encompasses what you eat, and this “diet” isn’t restrictive on what I eat, just when.

I fast for 19 hours, yup 19 hours with no food, just zero cal drinks, namely water, coffee and tea. Then I have a 5 hour window in which to eat. I see you shaking your head already, and hear you saying “that’s not healthy” “that’s hard to do”  “ I can’t fathom doing that” “you’re starving yourself”. I know, because I said all the same things, not ever even having tried. Basing it on the traditions of my life and the way I’ve eaten that entire time... but doing it the traditironal way got me to this point.... it was time to flip tradition off and try something new.

I came to learn they call this method of eating Fast5. I’ve been at it more than a week, and well... it’s not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. In fact, it’s easier than trying to explain to people that I don’t eat until 3 (my 5 hour window is 3-8, so that I can have a good meal with the family.) It’s easier, than trying to explain to them about the diet, and the history & science behind it. It’s easier than trying to explain to them I’m no more tired than before the diet, I have no less energy, it’s easy. It’s easier than trying to explain to them that, contrary to their thinking it’s perfectly safe(for me)... I mean seriously.... there are people that ACTUALLY starve themselves, or take massive amounts of drugs for weight loss, people that literally get their stomachs cut down to eat less (I know the fantastic success stories of gastric surgeries, but I’ve also seen the dreaded complications a dear friend has endured because of a “safe” gastric surgery) folks that eat to boredom so they stay or get to the “thinselves” they want to be. All I’m doing, is not eating for 19 hours..... 8 of that I’m sleeping anyways...and when it comes time to eat... in that 5 hour window (even though they say don’t count your calories) I still get in my few thousand calories. 

We’ll see how this goes. I have tried a Keto diet to a loss of 70 lbs, that was great. It sparked in me, the realization that I don’t have to be the big dude I always have been, and I can take control of my own life. Fast5 will be a new tool in the arsenal to help get me to where I want to see myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment